According to the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), women make up nearly 47 percent of the nation’s workforce. The majority of speech-language pathologists, social workers, physical therapists, and pharmacists are women.
However, women are continuously underrepresented in the workplace, and advancing to senior-level roles can still be a challenge today.
Fortunately, there are several steps women can take to combat sexism in the workplace and achieve the careers of their dreams.
Get Ahead in Your Career
These resources can help expand your business knowledge, develop effective leadership skills, and improve your chances of advancing in your career.
- Join an organization that empowers women. Some of these include the American Business Women’s Association (ABWA), Black Girls Code, and Association of Women’s Business Centers (WBCs).
- Become the leader you were born to be by enrolling in an online Masters of Business Administration program.
- Learn how to get ahead in your career, even if you work from home.
Become an Entrepreneur
Become your own boss by delving into the rewarding world of entrepreneurship.
- Get some inspiration from these 17 successful women who started businesses of their own.
- Complete the Encore Entrepreneurship for Women training program offered by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).
- Discover some of the best business ideas for female entrepreneurs. A few possibilities include event planning, marketing, copywriting, business coaching, and app development.
Combat Workplace Inequality
Reduce gender inequality in the workplace with these helpful tips and resources for women.
- Navigate male-dominated fields by finding and using your voice, embracing your self-confidence, and connecting with other women in similar industries. If you work within fields like science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), for instance, you could join professional organizations like STEM for Her and the Association of Women in Science (AWIS).
- Learn how to appropriately deal with sexism in the workplace with some expert tips from Career Contessa.
- Want to be the boss at work? Keep these seven strategies in mind to advance in your industry.
These tips and resources can be used as a framework for women to gain upward mobility in male-dominated industries. With this information, there’s no limit to what women can achieve in the workplace.