Baby, it’s cold outside! Get your warm wool sweater, your favorite fleece-lined boots, and the blender. Blender? Yes, the blender because it is time to make smoothies!
Believe it or not, winter is one of the most popular times of the year for smoothie-making because it fits right in with those healthy New Year’s resolutions. Smoothies are an easy way to pack more nutrition into your diet.
Wild blueberries are little purple powerhouses of nutrition and are perfect for a smoothie. You don’t have to pick these little darlings. They reside in the freezer section in your favorite grocery store. Frozen at harvest to lock in the goodness, studies show that they may help prevent the onset of cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and diabetes. With a well-balanced sweet-tart flavor, just about everything pairs well with these super fruits in this delicious beverage. Infused with warm, revitalizing cleansing spices, this wild blueberry smoothie latte will undoubtedly cure your winter blues.
WHAT IS A SMOOTHIE?
A smoothie is “a creamy beverage made of fruit blended with juice, milk, milk alternative or yogurt.” For a twist on the “traditional smoothie,” I created this one as a warm beverage. It’s cold outside, and everyone can use all the antioxidants to boost their immune system. Fighting off a cold or the flu? Here is the perfect delicious smoothie for you!
- 1 cups fresh frozen wild blueberries
- 1-1/2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 chai-flavored tea bags
- 1/2 cup milk (or alternative milk)
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place blueberries and one tablespoon of maple syrup in a blender.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat. Add tea bags; let steep for four minutes.
- Heat milk with the remaining half tablespoon of maple syrup and an eighth teaspoon of cinnamon just to a simmer, stirring to combine.
- Add hot tea to the blender with blueberries. Add a quarter cup of the hot milk mixture and blend well.
- Froth the remaining milk mixture with an immersion blender or a whisk specially designed for frothing milk.
- Divide the hot tea mixture among two mugs and top with frothy milk.
- Sprinkle with additional blueberries and cinnamon, if desired. Serve warm.
Enjoy a healthy 2024!