Why We Love Hot Chocolate
It’s a delicious winter drink — When the weather gets chilly, enjoying a mug of hot chocolate is a favorite wintery tradition. Hot chocolate warms your whole body and tastes luxurious too!
It’s good for you — Chocolate contains vitamins and minerals. It is also full of antioxidants known as flavonoids, which improve blood flow – all of which help give our body a nourishing health boost. Cocoa also aids memory. A 2013 study published in the journal Neurology found a correlation between drinking hot chocolate and improved memory, suggesting that drinking two cups a day could help stave off Alzheimer’s. WOW, who knew our passion for hot chocolate could be so good for our health
It gives your mood a boost — Chocolate holds many secrets to happiness. When we drink hot chocolate, its chemical compounds signal the brain to release endorphins and serotonin. These neurotransmitters make you comfortable and happy and can even reduce pain and stress. When I drink hot chocolate, it makes me smile. I like to call it happiness in a cup.
Check out Chef Jaimie’s tasty treats to take advantage of all the ways hot chocolate is good for you.
HOT COCOA BOMBS
Make these yummy Hot Cocoa Bombs of decadent chocolate filled with cocoa mix, marshmallows, and candy for a little something different for National Hot Chocolate Day. Add hot milk and watch them burst open and spill their chocolatey goodness. These hot chocolate bombs will become your favorite way to indulge in this cold-weather beverage.
Cooks Tip: These bombs are perfect for dressing up no matter the occasion! Just pick some candies that will melt when the hot milk hits them. It is fun to watch them Explode!!!
Adults consider adding a little liquor to these amazing chocolatey delights. Just add your favorite bourbon after they explode in the milk and stir! *Keep this adult drink away from kiddos!
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Serving: 3 large bombs
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp hot cocoa mix
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup candy melts
- Colored sprinkles
- Using the microwave, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Add 1½–2 tbsp of melted chocolate to each mini freezer bowl. Use the back of a spoon to spread along the walls ½ of the way up. Freeze until hardened, about 15 minutes.
- Reserve remaining chocolate.
- Place the mini bowls upside down onto parchment paper and gently loosen by applying pressure to the top and sides until the chocolate is released.
- Microwave a microwave-safe plate until warm, about 1 minute. Place 6 chocolate cups (one at a time) upside down to slightly melt and even out the rim of the chocolate cups.
- Add 1 tbsp of hot cocoa mix, marshmallows, and colored sprinkles to 3 of the cups.
- Warm the remaining chocolate from step 1, lightly dip the 3 remaining cup rims into the warm chocolate.
- Create the chocolate bomb by placing it on top of the other cup and pressing to seal it.
- Melt white chocolate or candy melts to add a decorative drizzle on each chocolate bomb and add sprinkles on top. Allow to harden.
- To serve, place chocolate bomb into a mug or glass and carefully pour warmed milk on top and watch everything inside float to the top like magic!