With a bright, lemony dressing and dazzling superfood colors, textures, and flavors, this fresh holiday pear and kale salad will be a feast for the eyes and a party in your mouth.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Serves: 4-6
Chef Notes: If you dislike kale, substitute other salad greens you enjoy, and skip the massage step in the instructions.
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups torn kale leaves
- ¼ cup baby arugula
- 2 USA pears, sliced
- ¼ cup honey-glazed sliced almonds (or nuts of your choice)
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
- Shards of Manchego cheese
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar with a screw top lid; shake to blend.
- Place kale in a large bowl. Drizzle kale with a tablespoon or two of the dressing.
- Massage the kale with your hands for 1 to 2 minutes or until it becomes tender and deeper green in color.
- Pour the remaining dressing into a small serving bowl and place in the center of a large round serving plate.
- Arrange kale around the bowl on the plate, forming a wreath.
- Top with arugula, sliced pears, almonds, pomegranate seeds, and cheese.
- Spoon dressing over salad just before serving.