Cooking with your Grandkids can be fun!
This unexpected spin on the classic burger will delight even the pickiest eaters. No grill required!
Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad
- 4 sesame seed hamburger bun tops (or unseeded)
- 1 small red onion
- 2 plum/roma tomatoes
- 3/4 lb. 95% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup sliced dill pickles
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (optional – think Thousand Island)
- 8 cups thinly sliced/torn romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Slice bun tops into 1/4-in. strips; arrange in a single layer on thick cookie pan.
- Bake 8 minutes or until lightly toasted; remove to a cooling rack.
- Cut onion in half crosswise. Slice half of the onion into thin rings.
- Cut tomatoes lengthwise into quarters and slice crosswise.
- Set onion and tomatoes aside.
- Cook ground beef in a sauté pan over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles.
- Chop remaining onion half; finely dice pickles.
- In a bowl combine chopped onion, pickles, ketchup and mustard (plus optional mayonnaise).
- Add cooked beef; mix well.
- To serve, arrange lettuce on large serving platter.
- Spoon beef mixture over lettuce; top with cheese, tomatoes and sliced onion.
- Arrange hamburger bun croutons around edge of platter.
Knife skills are needed for this dish. Be sure to do it FOR the kiddos!!! They can help with the rest including tearing lettuce, measuring, mixing the dressing, washing the veggies and assembling the salad.
Nutrition Per Serving:
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 55 mg
Carbohydrate 20 g
Protein 19 g
Sodium 750 mg
Fiber 2 g