The Jelly Queens are famous for our jelly, of course — and for one special pie.
Every year, we bake hundreds of our Cranberry Pecan Caramel Pies. When COVID-19 came, and our business slowed, we decided to make our ingredients do some good, so we cooked snacks for Parkland Hospital’s front-line workers.
We usually use cranberries in this recipe. But blueberries were in season, and we had a ton of them. When we whipped up the pie, it turned purple! A perfect match, since Parkland’s corporate color is purple!
The Jelly Queens hope you enjoy this special treat created with a lot of love.
The Jelly Queens Parkland Pie
You will need:
- Two bowls
- Strong spoon
- Pie, cake or brownie pan (I use a 9- or 4-inch pie pan)
- Bakers Joy, flour based non-stick spray
- 1 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic whole cane sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 2 cups organic frozen blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup organic chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup organic butter, melted
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 big pinch of organic powdered vanilla or one vanilla bean
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour pan of choice.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool a bit.
- In the first bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Stir in the blueberries and pecans. Toss to coat.
- In the second bowl, scramble the eggs with a fork, then stir in the melted butter and vanilla.
- Add the second bowl’s ingredients to the first bowl and blend well. The batter will be very stiff.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Use your fingers, if necessary.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Pour hot caramel on top. Allow it to soak into the cake.
- Top with The Jelly Queens Caramel Sauce and a squirt of whipped cream!