Created by Chef Sherry Remy |
For my collaboration with WakWay Farm and The Jelly Queens, I was selected to go to bat for then-Texas Ranger Joey Gallo. His flavor combination and creation of “Strawberry Apple Jelly Gallo Jam” was a home run. After only one taste, I knew right away what I wanted to make with it: A coffee cake!
It’s perfect for these cool crisp mornings with a piping hot cup of coffee or a warm glass of milk. This recipe is easily transformed into a muffin for those on the go, too. Either way, it’s sure to be a grand slam!
The strawberry apple jelly snuggles up with a hint of cinnamon and sugar, nestled between two layers of rich buttermilk cake, and then crowned with a buttery streusel topping. It’s comfort food at its best — not too sweet and not too heavy.
Strawberry Apple Streusel
Yield: 2 streusel loafs
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 50 minutes | Total Time: 70 minutes
For the cake:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
Cinnamon and sugar mixture:
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1⁄2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 1 jar Strawberry Apple Jelly Jam
Preparing the cake batter:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two loaf pans with nonstick spray.
- Prepare cake batter: In a medium bowl, sift flour and baking soda together; set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugar, and eggs for three minutes, or until fluffy and pale yellow.
- Add flour and buttermilk to the mixture, alternating wet and dry ingredients until mixed well. The batter will be thick.
- Scrape sides of the bowl as needed. Divide cake mixture into two equal portions and set aside.
- Pulse all streusel ingredients in a food processor a few times until course and crumbly (you can also do this with a pastry blender or your hands). Set aside.
Assemble the cake:
- Spread half of one of the cake mixtures in a loaf pan. Spoon half jar of Strawberry Apple Jelly Jam on top of batter. Spread evenly.
- In a small dish, combine cinnamon and sugar. Add half of this mixture on top of the jelly layer. Add the rest of the batter over the cinnamon and sugar. Top with half of the streusel topping.
- Repeat assembly for the second loaf. Bake for 45-50 minutes in a 350-degree oven until light brown. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.