Created by Chef Rebecka Evans | Photos by Rebecka Evans |
The Food Sport Angle
Teaming up Major League Baseball coaches and players with the World Food Championship chefs to promote others’ welfare is a home run!
All of the chefs will use jam flavors created by noted Texas athletes, including several Texas Rangers, all made by the Jelly Queens for Wakway Farms.
I created an original recipe using one of the jams designed by the Texas Rangers.
Don’s flavor is Peach Jam with a hint of cinnamon, aptly named Wak’s Perfect Peach Jam. And, with the holidays right around the corner, Wakamatsu’s Peachy Good Waffle Sandwich is the perfect fit for this delectable dish.
Dressed with Wak’s Perfect Peach Jam, crispy waffles are spread with real mayonnaise, layered with sliced turkey, ham, and jalapeno Havarti, then topped with a whipped peach and honey butter to create the perfect bite.
Peachy Good Waffle Sandwich
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4–8 people | Category: Breakfast | Cuisine: American
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1-2/3 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter (or oil)
- 3/4–1-pound turkey, sliced (leftovers are fine)
- 3/4–1-pound ham, sliced (leftovers are fine)
- ½-pound jalapeño Havarti cheese, sliced
- 2 6-ounce jars (1-1/2 cups) Wak’s Perfect Peach Jam
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 8 long sandwich picks
- Preheat waffle iron to manufacturer’s directions.
- Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix egg yolks, milk, and melted butter. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add yolk mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Fold in egg whites.
- Drop large spoonfuls of batter onto a greased waffle iron, close the lid, and cook about 3-5 minutes.
- When the waffles are done, lay them on a baking sheet. Spread ½ teaspoon Wak’s Perfect Peach Jam over the waffles. Add a layer of Havarti cheese and place under the broiler for 1 minute to melt the cheese.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon mayonnaise over each waffle and add layers of ham and turkey.
- Place two of the waffles together to make a sandwich.
- Secure the waffle sandwich with two sandwich picks and cut them in half, making 8 triangles
- Continue the process until all the batter is gone and sandwiches are made
- Serve with a dollop of Whipped Peach Honey Butter (see sidebar)