Created by Chef Rebecka Evans ~
Flakey, ooey, gooey, chocolatey love bites are a cinch to make for your family’s sweet tooth on Valentine’s Day or when you are craving something special. Individual phyllo cups filled with creamy chocolate, whipped cream, and maraschino cherries never tasted better! It will be a lovefest at first bite!
Yields: 24 | Prep Time: 20 min. | Cook Time: 18 min.
CHEF NOTE: There are a lot of steps to this recipe, but it is easy to follow and so worth it!
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, rough chopped
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, rough chopped
- ⅓ cup butter for melting chocolate, melted
- ⅓ cup butter for phyllo pastry, melted
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 jar organic maraschino cherries
For the Filling
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat, remove from heat.
- Chop baking chocolate into pieces and add to hot butter Stir until chocolate pieces are melted, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine, sugar, flour, salt and whisk until blended. Add eggs and whisk until light yellow in color and creamy.
- Add cooled melted chocolate and whisk for two minutes to combine, set mixture aside.
For the Phyllo
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F.
- Mix sugar and cocoa powder together in a small cup, set aside.
- Melt ⅓ cup butter in microwave.
- Remove 6 sheets of phyllo from package. Using a pastry brush, brush butter over first sheet. Lightly sprinkle a fine layer of sugared cocoa over the phyllo, add another layer and continue process until all sheets are done.
- Cut phyllo into 3×4 inch pieces and arrange cut sheets into a small cupcake pan.
- Cook pastry cups for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned, remove from the oven.
- Fill cups with around one tablespoon prepared chocolate batter. Return filled cups to oven and bake for additional 8-12 minutes or until centers are firm but not browned, remove from oven and cool completely.
For the Whipped Cream
- Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks, add sugar and whisk slightly to combine.
- Slide a small pastry tip into the corner of a small zip baggie allowing the plastic to break open at the tip.
- Fill the baggie with whipped cream and pipe small amount of whipped cream onto each cup.
- Top individual cups with maraschino cherry and serve.