Cooking with your Grandkids can be fun!
Fun with leftovers! With potlucks, family gatherings and holidays coming up there is always something leftover, let’s reimagine it as pie.
Yield: 6 pies
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock ~ or turkey, beef or veggie stock
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme, sage or rosemary ~ or use a ½ tsp dried
- 1 pressed garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen veggies, thawed ~ or leftover veggies
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked turkey ~ or cooked beef, chicken or pork
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pkg refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts), softened according to package
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- On stovetop in a sauce pan add butter and flour; whisk until smooth using Silicone-Coated Sauce Whisk.
- Cook over medium-high heat 4-6 minutes or until mixture is light golden brown, whisking occasionally.
- Add stock, whisking constantly until smooth. Add thyme, pressed garlic, salt and black pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in chopped onion, frozen vegetables, turkey and milk. Set aside.
- Unroll one crust onto lightly floured surface. Cut out three 5-in. circles using biscuit cutter. With remaining dough, cut out six designs using small cookie cutters.
- Repeat with remaining crust.
- In Mini Pie Pan place crust circles and press up sides and over edges.
- Place 6 designs onto a sheet pan.
- Bake pie shells plus sheet pan with designs for 16-18 minutes until light golden brown.
- Divide filling evenly into baked pie shells. ~ Optional – pipe mashed potatoes on top
- Bake an additional 10-12 minutes or until filling is heated through.
- Top with designs and serve warm.
COOK’S TIP: Add a decorative touch on top using a decorating bag to pipe mashed potatoes. Pretty and tasty!
Reimagining leftovers with the Grandkids is fun: pick out cookie cutters, decorate and experience using leftovers rather than tossing them. For additional visuals and nutrients visit www.fyi50stg.wpengine.com