Enjoy a heart-healthy meal with this quick, delicious grilled salmon salad
Created By Chef Rebecka Evans | Photos by Rebecka Evans |
This salad is loaded with vitamins and nutrients derived from raw fennel and jicama. In addition to the “anise-like” flavor of fennel, often described as a less intense licorice taste, the Omega-3 fatty acids in the organic salmon are nutritious and delicious for your body, mind, and soul. Homemade lemon garlic dressing accentuates this salad’s herbaceous nature.
The indulgent flavors of this heart-healthy recipe make it the perfect choice for summer family BBQs, entertaining guests, or simply enjoyed alfresco with a copy of fyi50+ magazine and a glass of white wine.
GRILLED SALMON SALAD WITH LEMON GARLIC DRESSING
Prep Time: 15 | Cook Time: 5 | Total Time: 20 minutes | Category: Salad | Method: Grill | Cuisine: American
For The Salad:
2 6-ounce salmon filets
1/4 cup Lemon Garlic Dressing (or to taste; see recipe below)
1 small jicama, peeled, sliced, and cut into thin strips (about 1 cup)
1 fennel bulb, cut into thin strips
1 small, unpeeled red apple sliced and cut into thin strips.
1 4-ounce can water chestnuts, drained
1 4-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander or parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Lemon Garlic Dressing:
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1-1/4 teaspoon honey, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
5-6 edible pansy flowers
- Dry salmon fillets with a paper towel.
- Season fillets with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Brush salmon with 1 teaspoon lemon garlic dressing.
- Place seasoned salmon on a hot gas grill or cast-iron pan. Cook without turning for 3-5 minutes, or until caramelized. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine jicama, fennel, water chestnuts, apples, mandarin oranges, and coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1/4 cup garlic lemon dressing and toss to coat.
- Serve grilled salmon on a bed of salad.
- Finish salad with more lemon garlic dressing.
For a vegetarian version of this delightful salad/slaw, replace the salmon with stone fruits such as peaches, nectarines, or plums. Cut the nectarines in half, remove the stones, and brush the cut side of nectarines with one teaspoon Lemon Garlic Dressing. Sprinkle each nectarine half with a pinch of sugar. Place nectarine cut side down on a hot gas grill or cast-iron pan. Cook without turning for 3-5 minutes or until caramelized. Position fruit of your choice on the slaw and top with a crumbly cheese like Gorgonzola or feta.