Delight Mom when you prepare this delicious one-pan meal on Mother’s Day. Whether for lunch or dinner, pair it with her favorite beverage and make a toast about all she means to you.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 30 Minutes | Servings: 4
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ tablespoons Fiesta Italian Spice Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Cooking spray for pan
- 2 8-ounce tubs of fresh mozzarella cheese. Cut one tub into eight slices and the other tub into small chunks
- 3 vine ripe tomatoes, divided — ½ cup for chicken and ½ cup for garnish
- 1 cup whole basil leaves, divided — ½ cup for chicken and ½ cup for garnish
FOR THE BALSAMIC REDUCTION
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add balsamic vinegar and honey to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a slight boil and reduce heat by half; cook for about 6-8 minutes; set aside and let cool.
Spice Mixture for Chicken
- In a small bowl, combine Italian season blend with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the chicken breasts diagonally about ¾ way through the meat. Leave about ¼ inch of the breast intact to hold the cheese and tomato slices.
- Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over the breasts. Work the mixture onto the cuts and both sides of the chicken with your fingers.
- Spray the 11 x 7-inch baking pan with the cooking spray.
- Place chicken into the pan. Insert one slice of mozzarella cheese and one slice of tomato into slits on the chicken. Drizzle ½ teaspoon olive oil over the chicken and roast in the oven until the chicken is cooked thoroughly, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 25-30 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine chopped mozzarella with chopped tomato. Add two tablespoons of chopped basil, a pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle ½ teaspoon olive oil into the mixture. Set aside until ready to plate.
- Remove the chicken from the oven when the cheese has melted entirely over the cooked chicken.
- Top with whole basil leaves and serve immediately, topped with mozzarella and tomatoes, drizzled with balsamic Reduction, and garnished with more basil, if desired.