A classic Italian sandwich becomes a warm and cozy soup perfect for a fireside dinner in this delicious twist on a time-honored favorite.
Meatball Marinara Soup with Mini Mozzarella Toast
Servings: 8 Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- (2) 16 ounce packages Italian style frozen mini meatballs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup red wine
- (2) 28 ounce cans fire roasted crushed red tomatoes (may substitute regular crushed red tomatoes)
- 3½ teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for serving (pre-grated won’t melt into the soup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ½ of a French bread loaf, sliced in half lengthwise, then into 1” thick pieces
- ½ stick of butter, melted
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic, stirring 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and slowly stir in the red wine.
- Return to heat and add in the tomatoes, 2 teaspoons of the Italian seasoning, and salt. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for an additional 30 minutes. During the last 20 minutes of simmering, add the frozen mini meatballs. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil.
- Meanwhile, lay the French bread pieces on a rimmed baking sheet and set oven to broil.
- Combine the melted butter, the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and remaining 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning. Brush onto the tops of the bread pieces. Set pan on the bottom oven rack and broil for 2-3 minutes or until bread tops are lightly browned.
- Remove pan from the oven and sprinkle pieces with the mozzarella cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle with chopped basil and additional Parmesan cheese. Serve with Mini Mozzarella Toast on top (and a few more pieces on the side!).